[AMC-List] My "new" J-10 truck!

Well, I got it home from NYC with no problems at all! The exhaust is kind of lud due to some leaks, but it drove fine. Vacuum seems to be a little low, so I may have a vacuum leak in the manifold. It has power brakes, but sure doesn't feel like it! The previous owner (PO) stated that he put metallic pads on and that it stopped much better with standard pads. That's a cheap swap, might have to find out! He also told me that only one of the front calipers was bled recently due to a broke off bleeder screw. A rear tire is out of balance or has a slipped belt, but the PO told me about that. Gets a vibration in it around 55 but not bad now. It started a little unsettling, but as I drove (couldn't go over 55 while near the city anyway) it got a bit better. I ended up driving at 65 or so most of the way home with just a bit of vibration -- not enough to be anooying or uncomfortable. The exhaust system is BADLY rusted -- could be original! It's definitely leaking some, sounds about !
 like an
 old tractor! Planning on replacing it soon -- will look on-line and see if I can buy a head pipe so I don't have to replace the cat.

He'd been using it to snow plow with, and boy does it show! Lots of flakey surface rust on the front frame, and bolts that were difficult to get off. Nothing you northerners aren't accustomed to, but I'm sure not!! One main bolt holding the plow frame on must be bent -- couldn't drive it out with a 2# shop hammer! It's a 1/2" bolt. I'll get a local shop to blow the head off with a torch. I found some braces welded on the front crossmember that will need to be cut off anyway. Now I know why the PO didn't take the frame off, just the pump, hydraulics, and blade! I let him keep the plow in exchange for an aluminum cap. Probably won't use that much either, but can use it more than a snow plow in S.C.! I'm driving the truck down in a couple weeks then parking it until I move there. Wanted a Jeep, and this one looked pretty good. It has some rust here and there over the body, but seems to be typical J-truck stuff. I'll use it a year or two then start patching here and there as lon!
 g as ev
erything seems to be okay. Should -- the trans (nice "snap" in every gear!) and transfer case were rebuilt over the last 3-4 years.

The four speed (T-176) acts more like a three speed with OD with the stock 2.73 gears. No point in using fourth unless you're traveling over 45-50. With a load there will be lots of 3-4-3 shifting. Not a problem though, first seems to be low enough for a light load, and there's low range in the transfer case if not. IIRC it can be shifted from low to high on the fly with no problems. Anyone know for sure (Jim B?)

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"