Re: [AMC-List] Duraspark distributor woes (258 six)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Jim Blair wrote:

> A: The Renix plug is TR5 in NGK and HO is TR5-5 (I wasn't paying attention
> when I got mine because I looked up for '93 Grand Cherokee, which is the motor
> now in my '84 J10 awaiting wiring to get done)

Tomorrow I'll pull a plug to verify the heat range; I forget
what I stuck in there. They're those !@## new-fangled baby plugs
(1983).

To recap, I've got a 20-degree mechanical advance unit, static
timing set to 8 degrees, vacuum advance disconnected. Running
high-test gas it does not ping.

I measured 30 degrees total advance with my timing light, so
measurement agrees with the sum of the components (2 degree
error, probably in the markings on the timing light knob).

With 36 - 38 recommended, 30 is a bit short for maximum advance,
and this is on high test. I thought this engine was dead stock,
but I suppose it could have high-comp pistons (oh woe is me). (I
bought the shortblock from someone's abandoned Jeep project.)

So where's that 6 degrees? I'm hoping spread between too-hot
plugs, coolant temp lowering, richer jetting.