Re: [AMC-List] Duraspark distributor woes (258 six)

A: The Renix plug is TR5 in NGK and HO is TR5-5 (I wasn't paying attention when I got mine because I looked up for '93 Grand Cherokee, which is the motor now in my '84 J10 awaiting wiring to get done)

From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM"
	<Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List]  Duraspark distributor woes (258 six)
To: <tomj@xxxxxxx>, <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Richening it a bit will reduce pinging under load. I've tried
weaning
mine off gas at times too, it usually balks.... ;>  Once it's
richened
up a little you will likely get better mileage. At 70 mph you
should
have the secondary cracked open with a small 2V carb. That's my
experience with the Autolite carb on an old Pinto anyway. I
think the
secondary started opening around 50 mph.

The strokers guys have found that running an 87-90 Renix spark
plug in
the 91-06 HO engine (when stroked) will reduce pinging also. The
recommended plug for the Renix is shorter than the HO plug.
Don't know
if that info will help or not. I think the longer reach plug is
getting
hot and causing pre-detonation, the shorter one doesn't get as
hot from
combustion. Just my opinion though!