Re: [AMC-List] Rear disc brakes (was: pulling an axle)

Re: [AMC-List] Rear disc brakes (was: pulling an axle)

Good question!
I'm thinking on this swap myself if time, health will allow.
I need to do brakes on the 97 XJ. I have new rotors and pads from Rock auto for the front. I'm hoping the rears will be good enough to wait a bit till I have enough time to do the disc swap. If not I'll end up fixing the drums.
  I was not sure what to do for pads so I went with Raybestos Quiet stop ceramics.
I hope the choice is good, no real idea, anyone want to tell me I screwed up?
  I've been thinking if time allows of resurfacing the front rotors that are on it and using them on the rear with some calipers to be decided. While searching for truckarm info I stumbled on clamp on rear caliper mounts! They wrap arouund the rear axle tube in two pieces and bolt together, then use waht appears to be a 3/8" bolt drilled to actually enter the axle tube to stop rotation. I'd add some weld after finishing the install to be sure, but it sure looks like an easy setup to allow for aligning things before welding!
  Does anyone know what GM calipers I would look for to gain an ebrake??? and be not to god awfull expensive!
--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net