Re: [AMC-List] Rear disc brakes (was: pulling an axle)

A: I was looking at either a Grand Cherokee D35 ebrake and disc brake
assembly (shoes inside the "drum" of the rotor) or 8.8" Ford axle with disc
brakes (common XJ conversion)

From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM"
	<Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] Rear disc brakes (was: pulling an axle)
To: <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

A: I'm about to find out about some of this stuff. I just sold a
customer
some ZJ rear disc brakes today and found out that there was a
'93/94
only
rear disc brake version. The rest were the same '95 thru '98.
  I'd like to get a Model 20 (from a Comanche) soon to put under
my
truck
(hopefully while I do the AW4 from BA 10/5 swap) so I can do a
rear disc
brake conversion. I don't want to waste the money on my current
D35.
-------------

The easy way for rear disc brakes on any AMC is to use the
rotors from a
4x4 XJ Cherokee (or Eagle -- and I think the 2WD XJ uses the
same as
well) and weld-on GM caliper brackets from Speedway
(www.speedwaymotors.com). You won't have a park brake unless you
use GM
calipers with park brake built in though. One way around that is
to use
a manual caliper from a snowmobile/go cart. These are made in
two halves
so a spacer can be made to make it wide enough for the vented
rotor.
Other rotors can be used -- Ford light 4x4 truck rotors have the
same
bolt pattern, as does the Crown Vic and some Toyota trucks. Hat
type
aftermarket rotors work nicely also. A solid rotor is fine for
the rear
brakes, doesn't have to be vented.