Re: [AMC-List] Ambassadors

Towhomit may concern or care

I currently own and for the most part enjoy my used Chrysler Town and
Country for a variety of reasons, however recently I have been able to
treat it to its 4th automatic transmission in 116,000 miles (4th at
least anyway that I know about) which makes me question whether Dr. Z's
accolades of German and Chrysler engineering were all they were cracked
up to be. ( this one was the 3rd transmission in 10,000 miles.

http://www.prnewstoday.com/release.htm?cat=auto
<http://www.prnewstoday.com/release.htm?cat=auto&dat=20060630&rl=NYF0273
0062006-1> &dat=20060630&rl=NYF02730062006-1

SNIP
it is with morbid amusement that i see japanese companies successfully
import their suvs as -cars- but get them past the epa and dot etc as
-trucks-.
SNIP

Of course this same T&C, a replacement for a station wagon which if
memory serves was an automobile, at least my Hornet wagon in the
driveway sure looks like one is classified for the purposes of smog
certification as a light truck! It just seems to me that if it is one,
it sure should act more like one when needed.

http://www.cfact.org/site/print.asp?idarticle=233

But to be fair, I had to use a 1980 Eagle for a wiring harness donation
and found it was certified in California as a light truck. This allowed
it to have minimal smog components installed and as a light truck, it
did not show up in my files of Eagle smog configurations as I have
collected the AUTOMOBILE OR CAR data. I don't know where you go to find
Eagle Truck data.

SNIP
"Permit expanded use of the automobile for cargo-carrying purposes or
other
nonpassenger-carrying purposes through the removal of seats by means
installed
for that purpose by the automobile's manufacturer or with simple tools
such as
screwdrivers and wrenches, so as to create a flat, floor level, surface
extending from the forward-most point of installation of those seats to
the
rear of the automobile's interior."
SNIP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeSoto_Suburban

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/bv/kaiser_traveler.htm

These probably would have been more successful if smog rules were
implemented sooner. But due to apathy and other related emotions they
are gone and we now have the Kia

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/kia/index50.html

that comes from a country that at the same time the Traveler was being
manufactured our Ambassadors were using their combined mentality of
possible double digits and were trying to divide the country in two.

With time passing and objectives becoming more clarified we probably
stand a chance now to combine the benefits of a mushroom shaped cloud
with said station wagon and be able to find it at night because it glows
in the dark!

The whole thing is beginning to suggest that I re-evaluate the practical
aspect of restoring my Hornet Station wagon and placing it in daily
service again. After all, it has only lasted 30 years so far despite an
adequate amount of neglect and abuse. The transmission will still move
the thing forward and backwards despite barfing out a pint or so of
fluid just when you don't expect it.  The total cost of doing so based
on components collected and on the shelf including a replacement
transmission and engine will probably cost about the same as 2 more
transmissions for my T&C which if precedence and history are any
indicators I may have to use before I get the Hornet restored no matter
what Dr. Z wrote on his prescription pad.  And the Chrysler has had the
best of care and is only 10 years old!

With more than a bit of frustration for the evening.
John.