Re: [AMC-List] pulling an axle

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, johnny kazek wrote:

>    Possibly another stupid question:   Initial torque to attach hub with
>    or without wheel on?    Start it without then put tire on?

It's a lot of torque, and hard to apply. What most people do
is put the wheel on the car with at least a few lugs, snug,
drop the car onto the pavement, apply the parking brake, and
THEN tighten the nut. Even then the car will want to roll :-)

You can get really close on the torque with a 3/4" drive socket,
extention and breaker-bar. Assemble all that onto the nut so the
breaker bar is horizontal; put a jackstand under the extention
so it's straight out from the axle.

My breaker bar is 18" (1.5 foot). I weight 150 lbs. 1.5 * 150=
225 lbs of torque on the tip of the breaker bar, applied there
with the ball of my foot. I pick up my 40 lb tool box and it's
285 lbs of torque. Go from there.

>    When this works out I'm buying all you guys a beer-

Sapporo!