Re: [AMC-List] pulling an axle

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, johnny kazek wrote:

>    Putting it back in I'm not so sure about.   Was the differential
>    bearing and cup supposed to come out with the axle?  If so I'm in
>    trouble, mine stayed in.   The manual is a little vague on this, can I
>    tap it the rest of the way in with a rubber mallet (axle is about an
>    inch short of where it should be) or am I missing something?

Nope, just a splined end. Try not to mung(*) up the grease seal
on the way back in!

It's a really really really really really really really really
good time to change the axle bearings and seals. You'll later
regret not doing that now.

If you've packed the area outside the inner grease seal with
grease, the axle assembly might resist insertion. But it should
insert all the way flush/flat. Lean on it hard, eg. pressure,
but NO (zero) need to hammer etc. Put a short 2x4" wood on
the axle threaded end, pound with your palm. The parts are not
delicate, but hammering, not so good on bearings and seals :-)

When BOTH axles are in and bolted snug, check the axle end play.
It's in the TSM, somethin like a few or dozen mils of end
slop. Can't check unless both axles are bolted snug (bearing
retainer -> axle -> gear cluster -> axle -> bearing retainer).

Unless it was bad when you took it apart, it will be good when
you assemble it with the original shims. It's not THAT critical,
but you certainly don't want it to be tight and ruin the bearings.

For THAT test, get a 4 lb hammer and a wood block, set each
axle in with a whack on the axle, one side then the other;
then pull/push the recommended side to check play. Dial guage
is best, but you could rig up some kludge to judge end play.