Re: [AMC-List] t-5 transmission for 304

Maybe the T-5 shaft is not as hard as a spider gear shaft (case-hardened, I
believe), but if it won't drill with the cobalt (used for stainless and
cast, I believe, and apparently titanium), try a carbide-tipped drill. I
used one to drill out the end of a spider gear shaft to get to a broken
retainer bolt. Only way to salvage the diff.

Took a long time to drill, but it was encouraging to see the chips coming
off, and the heat build-up was minimal as long as I used a slow enough speed
to avoid melting the braze holding the carbides.

The carbides for drilling will be especially for such purposes due to the
angle of the cutting edge. Masonry or hammer drill bits are unlikely to be
suitable. I just happened to have it on hand, so I can't say where it came
from, but definitely it had the right cut angle. You might be able to grind
a masonry bit correctly with the appropriate stone.

Glenn Ford