[AMC-List] Lead in 1977

While I'm procrastinating on a tough task here at
work, I thought I would relay some information about
my project this past weekend.

I have a 77 Hornet AMX which is being parted out.  I'm
trying to get "everything but the squeal" off of the
car before it goes to the junkyard.  It has a badly
damaged passenger quarter but the driver's side
quarter has only one big soft dent and is rust free.

So I'm taking that quarter off by cutting the spot
welds and removing it "properly" rather than the
sawzall route.

My observations:

A spot weld cutter is a must.  A 3/8 drill bit does
not work nearly as well.  It goes off-center more
easily even if you punch the spotwelds first.  I used
a Blair spotweld cutter and went through several
cutter "disks" and several of the little arbors which
center the cut.  The hardened metal of these cutters
is very brittle.  They work great, however, when they
are sharp and new.

AMC still used leaded seams in 1977.  The C-pillar
seams were leaded.  In addition there were three or
four braised spots in this area and at the front of
the quarter, just below the front of the quarter
window and at the rear near the tail light piece.

The rear lower seam where it is spot welded to both
the trunk floor extension and the rear valance panel
is very hard to reach with the rear springs in the
car.  I had to use a Sawzall to separate the are to
get access to the spot welds here because I did not
want to drop the springs at this point.

If anyone wants any Hornet hatchback sheet metal let
me know.  The rear quarter I cut off will go on Ebay
in a few days if not sold.

Regards,
Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA