Re: [AMC-List] t-5 in my 62 classic (rear axle install)

Re: [AMC-List] t-5 in my 62 classic (rear axle install)

It's not to difficult to install a rear axle in a torque tube body
that's completely reversible. As Mark pointed out, there will be a few
holes left when/if it's ever removed, but that's about all. I'd just
have a few inconspicuous holes if I removed my Jag axle. Don't know if
I'd go to the trouble of welding or covering them or not, since they
wouldn't be visible or cause any problems. Dave will have 2-3 holes
drilled through the lower rails for the lower four link arm mounts and a
couple in the floor and upper rails for the upper arm crossmember. All
I'd suggest is careful planning do the parts are bolt in instead of
welded. For the upper crossmember that means a flat or "L" shaped plate
on each end that fits snuggly between the rails, then drill bolt holes.
Done properly, with backing plates the width of the rail to prevent
crushing, bolts will hold as good or better than welds. Use lock
washers, and if you're still concerned or the bolts are hard to get to,
a bit of "lock tite" as well.

A front crossmember is easy -- "L" brackets bolt to the existing
crossmember mounting points in the front rails, then a universal,
fabricated, or modified crossmember from the donor car is drilled and
bolted on top of (or beneath if necessary) the "L" brackets (a short
section of 2"x2"x1/8" or so angle should suffice for "L" brackets).