Re: [AMC-List] What type of AT does a Gladiator have? --I want one! (or

Re: [AMC-List] What type of AT does a Gladiator have? --I want one! (or Comanche)

A: For some reason my computer didn't like this subject line! LOL! (I had to
mod it a bit) I'm passing this on to the FSJ lists to see if anyone has what
you need. I would suggest an '81 up J10 with 4.2L (already split
intake/exhaust as well) but they have T176 or possibly T5 (fairly light
duty) as stick options. NP208 is the only tcase with stick trans after '80.

From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM"
	<Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] What type of AT does a Gladiator have?
-- I
	want	one! (or Comanche)
To: <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The 230 OHC used a Borg-Warner M-8 (AS-8F) auto according to the
IFSJA
site.
(http://www.ifsja.org/tech/figures/db.html)
That's a cast iron trans, predecessor to M-10/11/12. AMC used
the M-8 in
the early 60s behind the 327. I think it has a vacuum modulator,
not
positive.
Jeep 327s used the "universal" (nailhead) pattern TH-400 and
adapter. As
Mark says, I've never seen one, but I'm sure there were a few
232s with
the TH-400 running around at one time. Most of those old
J-trucks got
used/abused and thrown away -- 20 years later! I've been looking
for
one, and just let one slip away!! The one I looked at about a
week and a
half ago is gone. Took me that long to decide I really would
like to
have one!

Anyone know of a J-10 or older six cylinder stick shift J-truck
that
hasn't been re-axled and lifted (lift I can undo, but I want the
high
geared axles, no 4.10s, prefer the 80s 2.73s -- it has a low
range in
the t/case if needed!) within a couple hours or so of Dover?
I've found
a couple, but all are 360 auto, except for one J-20 in PA that
was
converted to a 258 four speed -- w/4.10 gears. Not something I
want to
drive on the highway! At this point I'll consider an auto six
cylinder
or 304 powered truck. I'll even consider a 360 stick shift/327
stick or
auto.

I'm looking for a runner, ready to drive with minor work, but
doesn't
have to look good at all (just not beat/rusted to near death!).
Ideally
it would be around $1000, but I'll look at higher priced trucks.
I'll
consider a Comanche also -- six cylinder four or five speed, 2
or 4 WD.
The only thing I found nearby is an 86 w/2.8L. I'm thinking
about it,
but really don't want to mess with the little V-6. Would get an
EFI
conversion or 3.1/3.4 conversion if I had it, but that's more
than I
want to mess with. Would rather put the extra Renix EFI system I
have on
a 258!