Re: [AMC-List] Carter BBD alternatives

<snip>
>I had bought a kit when the carburetor was shipped on the previous Monday,
>but I needed to make a trip to Walmart and purchased a few chemicals for a
>soak.  I came home with two bottles of Gumout carburetor & fuel injection
>cleaner and two cans of carburetor & automatic choke cleaner.
>
>To the Gumout I added one gallon of gas in a plastic pail and to this mix
>the carburetor completely disassembled.  An hour later I stirred the pot
>and scrubbed every surface with a paint brush, then a tooth brush and
>returned the pieces to the pot.  At the end of the third hour I repeated
>the process with the addition of spraying each passage with the carburetor
>& automatic choke cleaner.
<snip>

FWIW, Gunk sells carburetor cleaner in gallon containers that works much,
much faster than what you're describing. Granted, the last carburetor I did
was worse on the inside (the car sat for a few years) than the outside and
it was just a 1 bbl Holley but after everything was apart, it only took
about 45 minutes to clean up all the parts. I also used a paint gun
cleaning kit to get into the passages in the metering body. Also, this
stuff doesn't stink too much and is no where near as bad for you (or as
flammable) as gasoline (I still wore gloves and a full face shield).

I've also used Barryman B9 Chemtool in the past which is just hideous. It
smells bad, took a loooooong time to loosen up stuff and made the pattern
in the rug move for a few hours after I was done.

Matt

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com