Re: [AMC-List] Not the AM Macaren

SNIP
Also don't overlook how GM's V-8-into-I-4 adventures later affected AMC.
SNIP
http://xjconnection.jtv.cc/engine_I4_XJ.gif

I bought a 1987 Pontiac Fiero, something on the order of 12,000 miles or
so, one year
old, and less than 8 grand cash at the time. The little I-4 with some
form of fuel injection
a 5 speed (Believe it might have been a Susuki) and black. This was
another example
of the Generals complete inability to market a car. What a fun little
beasty this thing
was. Multiple re-calls on the thing having to do with overheating.
Another clever
screw up. The radiator fill and the over flow tank was under the hood.
It was situated
lower than the cylinder head there for any kind of leak or failure to
burp the system
caused an air lock in the cylinder head thus no cooling, thus
overheating. I wish I had
saved all the re-call information. The most creative was a plaque that
was to be mounted
in a prominent location  that loudly and uglyish claimed that if you
lost coolant the engine
would overheat and catch on fire.
Yuh! Right!
It lived in the glove compartment.
Toyota, with the MR2 had the radiator fill cap and the over flow tank
back with the
engine. I thunk the General paid good money for his automotive
engineers. Must not
though, 'cause all the latest information GM is looking to be profitable
by closing
plants and firing workers. I thought the whole idea was to design and
build cars that
people wanted to buy and then sell them to the people. Sloan, Nash,
Olds, Chrysler, Earl
and others are probably turning over in their graves! (I saw a 4 port
hole Buick the other day,
will wonders never cease, GM brought back the Roadmaster! Not. Instant
product recognition
is not only a lost art but ludicrous!)
This was a fun car, the little engine would snarl through the gears
nicely. It had over-rev soft
Ware in the engine control computer I found out one day while drag
racing. I enjoyed every
mile I put on it.
Where as the same engine in a Spirit ran like a lump.
What is wrong with the picture.
John.