Re: [AMC-List] rambler hot rod

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Sandwich Maker wrote:
"
" > " http://www.cacklefest.com/images/striping-002.jpg
" > "
" > " (Note distance motor to axle CL)
" >
" > couldn't see much.  does the halibrand put the gearbox behind the
" > axle?  unless it does i don't see how it could be much different than
" > the c5 setup.
"
" Yeah, I'm not sure those pics are the right rear anyways.
" I don't have photos of the #50 transaxle, but I recall it being
" VERY short, even shorter than the back-of-block-to-axle photo
" above indicates.

that suggests the gearbox behind the axle.  if so, the c5 transaxle
would add about a foot to your wheelbase - but does it really matter?

or you could adapt a porsche g50 box, as john widiker mentioned.  it's
laid out very much like the halibrand and very strong, though at
porsche prices probably not much cheaper.

i don't know about the a500 box, save that it's a transaxle.