Re: [AMC-List] rambler hot rod // backwards six

Re: [AMC-List] rambler hot rod // backwards six

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Sandwich Maker wrote:
"
" > what tranny are ya gonna run?  my bellhousing could set you up for a
" > t-10...  [or an amc-pattern richmond 5sp.  they never nade an amc ver
" > of the 6sp, but it looks enough like their 5sp i bet inputs swap.]
"
" If I use the Navarro motor, it's a 66 block, hence old 196/Nash
" pattern. That limits my choices, or I'd have to adapt. I haven't
" looked at that angle; most people never bother for the usual
" AMC reasons (old blocks are not usually worth the effort, etc).

with that pattern you have few choices if you don't want to adapt.
t96 or t14 with the common stick bell
t86 or t15 with the rarer hd bell
amc t10, amc richmond 5sp with 'mexican' bell
aluminum warner - t36 et al
iron warner - m10 et al
early jeep [buick nailhead] th400 with adapter ring
there are probably jeep setups for heavy gearboxes like t-18s, which i
haven't counted.

" I have a 1975 T14 with Laycock de Normanville electric OD;
" I really want to use this transmission. I'm probably the only
" person who likes 3-speeds and who likes the separate, unweildy
" OD. I have zero (0) interest in racing or constantly stirring
" gears in a close box. It would be a light car!

nb. the wide ratio amc t-10 has a 1st equal to the t14's, 2.64 iirc.

" The Navarro engine and the T14/OD are not compatible directly,
" therefore it's TBD at this point.

ummm if the 't14' and a '60s bell aren't compatible, what you have is
more likely a ford t150 toploader; the t14 has the same nose as a t96
and bolts straight up to the '60s t96 bell.  and while the t150 with
laycock o/d was well known, i've never heard of a t14 with one.

does your tranny have a 9-bolt top cover, with notches in the front
corners?  wide 8.5" x 6.5" bolt pattern?  that's a t150.

there were rare t14s in '68-9 with the warner r10 o/d.

" > with gear drive the cam is not reversed;
"
" Are there not two-gear drive sets that do reverse? I know most
" of them have a double-idler to retain rotation. Anyhoo, it's
" moot at this point, for me.

for the amc six i've only heard of the mopar performance multi-gear
setup which doesn't reverse the cam, and iirc it's now discontinued.
but what i meant is that a two-gear drive would leave the cam turning
forward if the crank was reversed.  no special cam needed.