Re: [AMC-List] Replacement for A Carter, Why?

Re: [AMC-List] Replacement for A Carter, Why?

For what it is worth.
I have never had a desire to replace a Carter BBD with
anything else under most circumstances.
I have had no problem with rebuilding them if it was needed,
adjusted correctly they work just fine.
I have built some quick I-6's using a stock BBD and have
one stock one currently on the road that regularly gets 24+
miles per gallon and will run with current traffic conditions.
Set up correctly with the vacuum lines hooked up as they
should be they have never given me a bit of trouble and they
pass smog in this state.
Are they perfect? No! But they get the job done well. The basic
problems I have found were with the vacuum lines, not the
carburetors. They are also small, but that is typical of
all American made I-6 set ups other than the Pontiac Sprint
packages used a number of years back. I have reason
to believe that they are specked out at 179cfm by Carter which
is more than a bit small for an AMC I6 or anyone else's for
that matter.
For those situations where small was a problem my preference
was then and still is to install a small Carter AFB and go for it.
If that was not exotic enough I have gone the fuel injection
route.
I have yet to, but it is on my round-tuit list to built a turbo
version of an AMC I-6. I would dearly love to beat up on
Buick GNs.
I have found that the advantages of not having to spend a ton
of money on a carburetor that is no better, not having to cob up
some kind of crude linkage and I have seen a few beauts , and
for automatic applications not having to cob up some form of
kick down linkage has more than paid for itself in pure lack of
aggravation.
John