Re: [AMC-List] rambler hot rod

" From: farna@xxxxxxx
"
" The rotation for the front axle is the same as for the rear. The
" transfer case is chain driven over to the side, so the front driveshaft
" rotates the same as the crankshaft. You can't put the engine in the
" middle facing back and run an angled drivesahft to the front. But nice
" try!

but you could do something like take a front axle, pull the tubes off,
and flip the chuck over before pressing the tubes back in...

iirc built-in caster/camber would prevent flipping the entire axle.

" A Corvair transaxle (uses SBC pattern) or some front drive transaxle
" (Premier ZF auto?) might work, but would require an adapter.

the transaxle doesn't have an sbc pattern directly, but kitcar
builders found out early on how to modify it for front input.  someone
[crown iirc] then went on to make a sbc adapter.  the setup was used
in fiberglass porsche 917 knockoffs, for one.

" The offset for a Jeep front axle is about 8", but I can't say for sure.
" If you figured out how to run the trans on the front of the engine you
" could always use rear axle alxes (hmmm... doesn't sound right, but you
" know what I mean!) and center the diff in the front.

just use two short-side front axles and trim the long side tube to
match.  hitch is, if the diff is now 8" offset this would narrow the
axle by 16" - probably too much unless you're planning a single seater
and maybe even then.

" Or leave it offset
" and run through a transfer case. There are some front drive car haulers
" made from 4x4 trucks and car trailers. The truck frame is cut off just
" behind the cab and a low trailer frame welded to the back. The front
" axle does all the pulling, the rear output is sealed in some manner. I
" haven't had a close enough look to see how it's sealed -- just sticking
" a yoke in won't work, something has to keep it there!

3 little words for ya - slip yoke eliminator!