[AMC-List] Holley 2 bbl for AMC 258 - epilogue

[AMC-List] Holley 2 bbl for AMC 258 - epilogue

I made this swap on the suggestion of my mechanic, when I first got the
Spirit.  It seemed to be a good carb for the engine and dropped on perfectly
(required a simple linkage mod only) - even the body of the casting appeared
to be identical to the Carter.  I did put a kit in after about a year - I
don't remember what precipitated that, but it cured whatever the problem was
and I ran it hard (Trans Canada Hwy through the Rockies) many times.  It got
very good mileage (24 imp. mpg), started effortlessly, idled perfectly,
jumped off the line, and seemed to have an unlimited top end.  Swapping out
the mechanical fan also made a significant improvement - perhaps more than
the Holley. The little Spirit seemed to easily pass everything on the
uphills, without trying.

Certainly it was not too large for the I6. I would have liked to try out a
Weber, but this swap was readily available, and cost $35. I think that the
kit was an outrageous $40.

My experience was very good - your results may vary.

B. Nelson