Re: [AMC-List] Re-Build or Replace?

" From: "Ronald Brown" <browroe@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" I am the owner of an 87' Eagle.  I bought it about a 1 1/2 years ago and
" have been working on it ever since.  The engine runs good, but sounds like a
" bag of marbles in your hand.  I had the automatic rebuilt in 2005, replaced
" both rear axle bearings (outer), seals and such and changed the gear lube.
" When I checked the Ring, Pinion & Spider Gears the only thing that really
" looked worn was the Spider Gears.  The rear makes noise when accelerating
" and coasting.  My question is, is it possible to replace just those Spider
" Gears or should I change out the whole rear?  I have heard that I can
" replace the rear with a more conventional set up from a Jeep.  If this is so
" what should I look for?  I like the car and I really bought it for my wife
" but the constant attention is starting to get to me.  I needs some words of
" encouragement.

sure the 'rear end noise' isn't the rear u-joint?  spider gears only
do anything when the car is turning.  as for 'conventional', the jeep
axles are essentially the same as the eagles - hence the swap
potential.

did you change the bearings and seals because of the noise?

i can't guess at the engine noise but it sure doesn't sound good.