Re: [AMC-List] Play on Words (Spirit power)

A: Another option (although I really like the fuel injected 2.54 AMC 4 cyl
idea with either AX5 trans or AW4 automatic. The 904 used in the '84 to '89
4 cyl 2wd XJs would be okay for around towners) would be to find a Porsche
with the 2.0L in it (924 I think?) and fuel inject the little critter. There
were 2 of them close by my old place in S. Seattle that could have been had
for @$500. (one had a dead trans and the other was totally rotted out due to
leaky sunroof but running good)

From: farna@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] Play on Words (Spirit power)
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx (AMC-List)

At least it didn't have the 2.0L as the 79s did! A couple drove
a 2.0L four speed Spirit from Oregon to Florida a few years ago.
It had been upgraded with a Pertronix ignition. They said it
made a noticeable power increase. When you have barely adequate
power a 3-5 hp increase is very noticeable! But they did say it
was adequate with a four speed. The Iron Duke would probably be
much better with a five speed (as would the 2.0L) and a low rear
axle. But an EFI Duke should be very nice indeed! About the same
hp as a 232, though a bit less torque. Five speed and geared
right it would be good. A 2.5L AMC/Jeep four would be even
better -- a little more torque than the Poncho, and in the
family.

--
Frank Swygert