Re: [AMC-List] Toploader Swap into AMC?

" From: amc401z@xxxxxxx
"
"  Hello All,
"
" I am presently running a Borg Warner T5 in my '73 Javelin, but am now
" looking for a stronger transmission. Since I want to keep costs modest
" and have 3.15 rear gears, I am looking for a wide ratio four-speed to
" swap in.  Wide ratio toploaders with their 2.78 first gear seem like
" possible candiates.  Has anyone ever done this swap? and if so, what
" issues did you run into? It seems to the me the key issue would be
" stickout length of the toploader input shaft.  The short AMC
" bellhousings measure about 6 5/8". A Ford T5 input shaft has a stickout
" length of 7.18" which works fine with an AMC bell. Does anyone know
" what the stickout length on a toploader is?
"
" Thanks,
" Dave
" ________________________________________________________________________

this swap is very easy!  the 4sp toplopader is [big surprise] a direct
swap for the -3sp- toploader -- which was used by amc in the late '70s
as the t150.  splines, pilot, bolt patterns and length are all
identical.  get a complete t150 setup and drop that toploader in.
afaik the hardest thing will be locating the shifter.

if you need really heavy duty you can have the toploader built with a
31-spline mainshaft.  less well known is that the jeep t176/177/178
4sp are toploaders; if you want lower gears their guts can be put into
an iron side-shifter case for a 3.01, 3.52, or 3.82 1st.

what kind of engine/power are you running that the t5 isn't adequate?
ford svt '7003x' t5s are good for 330 ft-lbs.