Re: [AMC-List] "....Do you know where you ARE ?".......

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006, Brien Tourville wrote:

> All in favor - ...raise your ' Mouse .....' ;)

Well at least you don't accuse John of being long-winded. :-)

I have to largely agree. I want sufficient popularity and
cash-flow through AMC owners and vendors so that we have a
supply of cars and parts and information!

As I see it (YMMV) there's three aspects to the Pebble Beach
type car phenomenon:

 * a good design (etc) gets acknowledged
 * exquisite toys for those who can afford it
 * I want people to respect what I drive

#1 I'm down with, and how I read most of John Mahoney's postings.

#2 we'd all love to be rich; I'm too lazy for that. If I really,
really, wanted to drive a Nash-Healey, for example, I would
find a way, and I would enjoy it.

Having the prices of AMC products go through the roof will
not improve ANYTHING for anyone except open more collector
niche for the rich. BFD. I won't make more parts appear --
that happens when cars are driven on the road and wear out,
and someone can make money producing parts, to sell. Numbers!

Look -- how many $250K Corvette restos are out
there? 25? 50? 100? 500?  Is selling that many NO$
bumpers/hoods/cylinder heads gonna improve the situation for
daily drivers? No. What would $100K AMXs do for anyone except the
owners of them? (Whom I would wish very well, in our case! :-)
Would there appear more Classic parts? No. And the AMX stuff
that would become available would be what's already expensive
and hard to get *now* (grilles etc).

#3, if you do things that embarrass you, stop. If there
are things you like to do, you should not be embarrassed
by them.  If you are driving a car in order to impress some
real or perceived Crowd, well, that's why there are so many
Mustang/Camaro/Chevelle clones out there!

If there is a "Rambler mentality" it's in whining about how
AMCs are not cool enough.

Look how neatly we all skirt class issues in the united
states :-)