Re: [AMC-List] Do you know where you ARE ?".......

Re: [AMC-List] Do you know where you ARE ?".......

There will always be expensive desirable cars AND inexpensive undesirable ones. Only the brands will change. I had a guy from Uganda stay at my house for two nights as part of the touring African Children's Choir. He saw that I had 3 cars and told me that I must be a VERY rich man. It's easy for me to watch Barrett Jackson and forget that if I own my own home and a car, that puts me in the wealthiest 3% of the world.

But there will always be a transportation playground for the fiscally challenged. Right now, if AMC is it for you, then so be it. Usually what's true is that the cheapest car to own is the one you already do.

So I have a 1973 AMC Matador with the 258. I have yard sale E-T Unilug mags on it, poly suspension bushings in both the front and rear, a Delco HEI distributor, a Delco 3-wire alternator, a Clarion in-dash AM/FM/8-track player that was intended for a Ford LTD, and the cooling system and trans cooler from a junked Ford Aerostar van. It isn't quite weird enough for me yet so I plan on converting it to propane this winter.

Right now however, it's 300 miles away getting (I think) the timing chain/sprockets replaced because it broke down on the way home from the NAMDRA event. THANKS to all the AMCers who stopped to see what they could do. I REALLY appreciate it. Especially Jeff who helped me trouble shoot it and to Phillip and Heather who took it to their place to repair it. My wife was really impressed with the "brotherhood" of the whole thing.

I could care less what the "collective" hobby does. It is what it is. If all the AMCs get scrapped for the metal value OR if they go up in value 100 times, either way, I'm fine with it.

I raced the Inliners International annual event this year and I believe I may be the only AMC in that club even though there are a ton of AMC 6-bangers out there. I don't care.

If I convert to propane and there is a "propane nationals" of some type, I may go there as well. If I'm the only AMC there, I wouldn't care.

When I went out to buy a "hobby car", I went shopping specifically for an AMC because I always thought they were underrated and I liked the "7 main bearings" idea. But that 4.2 liter GMC inline-six that is currently being made is cooler than any AMC-6 ever made. That's an awesome motor. But I've now got more into the Matador than it will ever be worth and since I keep making it weirder, it will keep getting harder to sell. My co$t per mile is extraordinarily high. My wife doesn't understand it which seems pretty fitting since I don't understand it either.

But I am way beyond owning something weird on purpose and then holding it against other people that they think I'm weird. EVERYBODY is weird. Either that or they're faking it.

BTW, the 5th Annual Toys for Tots Benefit Drag Race is coming up on October 14 at the Mid-Michigan Motorplex. There will be a trophy for the quickest orphan-powered vehicle in time trials. Details of the race are at www.RunWhatYouBrung.com

Doug