Re: [AMC-List] 4.0L in Eagle

" From: farna@xxxxxxx
"
" The later model HO 4.0L (91-05) is basically the same as the early one.
" There is no knock sensor so you don't have to worry about that. You can
" modify the bell housing and CPS and use a 4.0L flywheel or flexplate.
" The AW4 flexplate would need to be drilled for a 998 torque converter,
" and check fitting to see that it doesn't push the converter in the trans
" to far. I think a Chrysler trans (32RE?) was used on Wranglers and/or
" Grand Cherokees with a 4.0L. That flexplate will work with a 998 (the
" trans is an electronic version of a 998).

rather than drill the aw4 plate, why not just get a wrangler one?

grands never had a 3sp auto.  they used the cherokee aw4 the first
year or so, then went to a 4sp tf - 42re iirc.

the wrangler one was named tf999, 32rh, and 32re as years passed.  h
for hydraulic and e for electronic but essentially the same box.  the
999 is slightly different from the 998 - front pump iirc.

" Possible problems:
" The late model intake may not clear the power brake booster -- it will
" be close! I've seen one Eagle with a late model intake. If the engine
" shakes due to a fouled plug the intake will tap the power booster. The
" booster must be the small diameter type used on the latest model Eagles.
" I don't know when the small one was first used, but early Eagles have a
" larger diameter booster.

hot rod places can also help you find a small booster.  rods
frequently have clearance problems.
--
another thing you can take from jeeps - wheels.  cherokees and
wranglers have had verious sizes including 15" and 16" rims both 7"