Re: [AMC-List] Exhaust Manifold Gasket and AMC drivers

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, John Elle wrote:

> As far as AMC for daily drivers, I gottem. I also have a Saturn and a
> Chrysler Town and Country.
> Their ain't no comparison folks. As nice as my Spirit is for cross
> country traveling either of the other two cars get better gasoline
> mileage, the A/C works better, they travel quieter so I can hear the
> radio. The seats are more comfortable, the cruise control works better
> and many other basic options that are not available on my Spirit make
> traveling that much more enjoyable. Yupper. I have a deep respect for
> the versatility and pleasure my AMC cars have brought me and believe me
> they are nice. But the newer technology is far better and more
> enjoyable. I had planned on restoring my Hornet Wagon and keeping it,
> but to be honest, my T&C is a far better vehicle so if I do keep the
> wagon, it will be to register it with the movie companies and let it
> bring me some income. My go fast street racer Javelin will always have a
> home with me but the Spirits day's are numbered now, I can see it
> coming. I put a lot of work in the car to keep it as a daily driver but
> to be honest. The Saturn has it beat any way you look at it.

BLASPHEMY! BLASPHEMY! LALALALALALALALALALALALALLALALALALALA I
cant hear you... !

(After I wrote this it sounded to me like I was criticising your
choices, John; I'm not. We're all different and make different
decisions, I'm totally fine with that!)

Yup, techology marched on since AMC. While I drive exclusively
AMCs (commute in my 70 Hornet) we own one 1996 Civic DX; little
motor, auto trans, A/C. Out-handles any AMC car (and not just
due to weight). A/C is a no-brainer. And so on...

Personally, I drive old stuff not just for the old-car-ness,
but because I specifically don't like to take part in consumer
culture; I make what I drive; I drive slower, and with windows
open. I hear (and umm, feel) my car run. I'm no Luddite, I just
like to pick which technologies I think will actually improve
my life (radial tires anyone?).

I could probably lop off 10 minutes each way to work if I drove
75 - 80 like everyone else, but I don't want the stress, the
competitiveness, or the gas consumption.

I drive older cars partly to SLOW THE HELL DOWN. It's also why
I'll never put electric wipers in my Rambler. If I wanted a
new car, I'd drive a 1970!

(I did install AC in the Rambler, I certainly enjoy it, but it
really does change the driving experience.)