Re: [AMC-List] Mustang II Suspension?

I whole-heartedly agree Mark! With the MII you get a reasonable variety
of bolt-on aftermarket parts, but NO improvement in the suspension. It's
much easier and more cost effective to make improvements to the original
AMC suspension -- urethane bushed trunnions, Aerolite brake system. Not
much variety, but how many different choices of 11" or 12" four piston
brakes (or even six) do you need? The Aerolite brakes use one of the
popular aftermarket calipers (Baer?), so you can use almost any caliper
from that company. The trunnions and brakes would cost around $1500
total, about the same price as one of the better MII kits, and no
installation hassle.

Now the Corvette system is a real improvement! As you mentioned, not
cheap, but at least it's a better system, unlike the MII. The MII is
popular because it's easy to duplicate (and was in use by AMC long
before the Pinto/MII came out -- AMC started using that type lower
arm/strut rod in 1962!) and retrofit to full frame solid axle cars, or
those with obscure front suspensions like the Chevy "Knee Action" of the
late 30s that it's hard to find parts for and don't handle as well.

There is an AMC (I think a two seat AMX, or was it a Spirit AMX?)
running around with the Corvette treatment. It was in the running for
one of the magazine performance contests. I don't recall which one now,
I think it was Hot Rod. Surely someone here remembers -- I don't think
it was more than a year ago.