Re: [AMC-List] Mustang II Suspension?

" From: Mark Price <markprice242@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Just to toss a little more fuel on the fire.
" If you're thinking [not you personally Frank anyone in general] of
" placing a complete front suspension such as a Mustang II in any of these
" car how about stepping up to a "real" sports car front suspension that
" looks to be fairly closely priced to Mustang II componenets and be true
" to the handling theme from the get go.
" What is he thinking of you ask? Well. I'll tell you 84-87 Corvette!
" It actually appears to be a more complete assembly form the get go. Used
" assemblys go for $1000 or less complete, rebuild kits $6-700 or less,
" rebuilt racks [if needed] $500, Coil overs $3-400. Now none of this is
" going to be "cheaper" then a MII, but. It is all true sports car design.
" Now I know track width is close enough to work and this info is easy to
" find. I've not found the width of the factory crossmember of other
" pertinant info. Part of the reason I've posted this is to see who out
" there may know more about this suspension. My web searches have left me
" curious and have not been 100% informative. Anyway back to the rambling.

this awakes something i read about back around '84.  someone was
making lugs for a 'vette tube frame - cut and bend the spec tube per
directions, insert ends into lugs to reinforce joints, and weld - or
maybe even braze - together.  bicycle riders can imagine what i'm
getting at.

it took stock front -and-rear- suspension subassemblies and iirc had
mount points for all the stock body panels too.  i started wondering
if i could register one as a kit car...

my point is, if the front suspension is the right track for an amc
swap, the rear is too - and it's a similarly self-contained setup.
i've read about someone doing the f/r vette suspension swap into an
early nova, and for us that's dimensionally promising.