[AMC-List] email exchange on "prototype' ambo convertible.

[AMC-List] email exchange on "prototype' ambo convertible.

I sent this email to the guy with the 65 Ambo "prototype' convertible and
this is what he had to say:

Me:
I am wondering if you have gotten rid of the inappropriate prototype content
on your blog. AMC used build sheets until they ran out before replacing them
with new ones with later dates. Your car is a great example of a vintage AMC
convertible but is not a prototype. AMC simply did not make exact versions
of production cars that far in advance.

I wish you well in the auction but please be sure to not try to pass the car
off as a prototype. The serial number on the dash and top of the inside
fender tower along with the door tag will tell you exactly what date and
where the car was built so you might want to include pictures of those in
the auction and on your blog as well.

Regards,
Dan Curtis

Him:
Why did AMC offer Roy Stoddard $5000. for an ordinary Ambassador 990 as soon
as he got the car home in Oskaloosa, Iowa? just an ordinary car right?

My response:
Not ordinary at all.  It was a primo example of a 1965 fairly rare, first
year model of that body style car.  I suspect if you look at the build
numbers for a '65 Ambo convertible, you will see that very few of them were
built for '65 although there are a couple of folks on the AMX-files that
have one as well.

Don't get me wrong, your car is a beautiful survivor of a fairly rare car.
It is also very likely a very early version but AMC did so many unusual
things with build sheet dates that you need to look at the serial number and
door tag to get the real lowdown.  Those numbers tell the story regardless
of what the build sheet says.

I have heard of one person who had a build sheet for a 69 AMX with a 1967
date on it.  Rest assured, AMC did not build a 69 AMX prototype in 1967 as
they had 1968 AMXs before the 69s.  It's just the way AMC did things which
is why they are fun but quirky to own.

Regards,
Dan Curtis
d.curtis@xxxxxxx