Re: [AMC-List] Spring perch plates...

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, William Renshaw wrote:

> Anyone here have a good pair of spring perch plates for a rear sway bar?
> They mount between the leaf spring and the lower shock mount. I know that I
> can have a set made, but it might be cheaper in the long run to try to find
> an O.E.M. set.
> Thanks in advance and any responce is greatly appreiciated.

The one with the ear and stud for the shock? If so, on small
cars 70-up there are differences. The early (70 hornet) part is
a big fat flat 3/8" plate of steel.  73 and later (no data) have
a much thinner steel part, with the edges turned up to stiffen.
It's a lot weaker, and deflects a lot when U-bolts tightened and
has a tendency to be found cracked. The difference is weight,
I can't believe would be more than a pound per side.

I have no spares, as our 72 Hornet sheared off a shock mount
(wrong shocks?  who knows) and it ate the spares.