Re: [AMC-List] Front suspension reconstruction

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, KENT ANDERSON wrote:

> In the process of reassembling the front suspension on my Typhoon, I'm having a serious alinging problem with the parts.  The lower control arms aren't ligning up properly, and it's putting WAY too much pressure on the rest of the parts.  I've gone "by the book" all the way on this (being a total rookie).  The stuff LOOKS great!  But, when trying to bolt the front strut rod to the lower control arm, everything is tweeking way out of proportion.  In fact, things got pretty ugly for a while, and I had to cut a bolt off the control arm.  Do you know how HARD it is to cut through a Grade 8 bolt?????
>
> If someone has an idea, or suggestion, please pass it on, so I can hang some wheels on this thing before the next millenium!

If you lift the assembled suspension up to approximately it's
actual ride height, the strut rod will stop pressing (or is it
pulling) so much on the lower control arm.

I recall freaking out over this, until I realized I was trying
to put it together with the suspension sagging against the
lower stops, spring removed. With the lower arm all the way down,
the arc the strut rod describes keeps it from aligning.

Lift the lower control arm up to approximately level and you
can get the two strut rod bolts into the lower arm.