Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project

Dave
SNIP
i know this has been talked about several times. my internet is so slow,
and im
having a hard time with the archive. i have someone offering me a brake
kit off
of an 81 concord. master cylinder, booster, proportioning valve,
spindles,
disks, calipers, everything for $175. im just wanting to make sure one
last
time that this will bolt right up to my 62 classic spindles.
SNIP
This will not bolt up to the spindle. It will have to be changed too.
But it is part of the kit as stated.
The spindles unbolt from the steering knuckle with the same 4 bolts that
hold the brakes on. And I think that Tom mentioned that configuration
goes back for many years well in to the early '50's.
This is a bolt on, however you may have to solve some clearance issues.
This depends on the particular year disc brake and the car you are
putting it on. Some years of calipers make it easier if you reverse the
location of the caliper. To do this move the bleeder to the top and the
brake line to the bottom of the calipers and bolt it onto the opposite
side. The bleeder always wants to be at the top no matter the location
of the calipers.
.
All you need for the Concord/Spirit setup is a pair of new XJ hoses and
banjo bolts. Straight in hoses as used on the Concord won't work on pre
72 vehicles as the steering knuckle interferes with hose routing. The
banjo type hoses mount 90 degrees to the caliper and allow plenty
clearance. You can find the bolts in any hotrod shop (get bolts for GM
calipers), or Jeep dealer, even the junk yard, a motor cycle shop or
even better auto parts stores. .

Then again, you may not even need them.
.
I have heard of disc brakes working safely with no change of the master
cylinder. You just have to be aware of fluid levels and check them often
as the reservoir may not be big enough.
Also the hot rod market has proportioning valves and assorted parts to
do jobs such as this if needed.

SNIP
i have also been told the mustang II brake kits work with minor work?
SNIP

I do not think that this is true at all, or at least not inexpensively
or easily.

SNIP
would that $175 for that whole set up be worth it
SNIP
Smoking deal, 'specially if everything is re-usable with just a clean up
and rebuild.
This is the set up I have on a shelf ready to do onto my Donohue if I
need to do some serious work on the existing 4 piston OEM units.

John