Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, d stohler wrote:

The 81 brake junk will bolt riiiiight up to 62! Don't know
about the master cyl though.

You can use any master cylinder that physically fits IF you
work with the following:

* No check valve in the fitting seat for the disc (front)
connection;

* Check valve in place for the rears;

* The master cyl bore is the same as, or nearly the same,
as the one from the donor system.

** If the new master cyl bore is larger than the donor's,
it will require more pedal pressure, and less travel (STIFFER).

** If the new master cyl bore is smaller than the donor's,
it will require less pedal pressure, but have higher travel
(SOFTER).

If it is "too much" smaller, you might run out of pumping
capacity (eg. one pedal push might bottom the master cylinder)
before brake lockup, or it might not have enough extra capacity
under degraded conditions, eg. when the system is 5 - 10 years
old, worn, leaky, etc.

I've never tested, measured, calculated, or even really guessed
at this last thing, but my sense is you'd have to be WAY off
for it to matter.

Certainly if the bore is within 1/16" it will only affect feel
and not safety. 1/8" is probably fine, even.