Re: [AMC-List] Educating...

A: I have found the usual reason for burnt valves in a Ford is vacuum leak on the intake making it run lean. (I have found the same on slant 6 with power brakes with #6 cyl burnt and Jeeps with loose intake manifolds)

From: <francis.swygert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List]  Educating...

Well, you can't "educate" anyone that's not willing to listen.
Some old
guys just don't want too -- especially from a younger man. Of
course
some younger guys don't either. On hotrodders.com some kid came
on
insisting that his Nova had 5x4.5" wheels. Even when a coup[le
people
politely told him of his error, he still insisted, though he did
add
that maybe he was measuring wrong (nice of him!). When someone
posted
how to measure he had nothing else to say, so he must have! But
the
point is he posted that the Nova had the pattern after a couple
people
had already stated that Chevy wheels wouldn't fit (of course I
pointed
out that everyone forgets about AMC!!). I doubt "your" guy gets
out to
many AMC shows, or any shows. So I doubt he'll be doing much
harm.

I once told an old guy that I didn't want to buy a Fairlane I
went to
see. He still insisted on trying to sell me the car, that it was
in
perfect mechanical condition except for a burnt valve, and had
been
babied all it's life. I finally stated that something had to
cause the
burnt valve. At that point he got mad and told me to leave,
while
walking swiftly for his truck. We were out in the country, and
though I
was a kid (18 or 19) at the time, I grew up out that way too! I
seriously thought the guy was going for a shotgun!! He had a
limp --
turns out he was going for his cane, apparently thinking he was
going to
give us (I had a friend with me about the same age) a thrashing
for
being disrespectful, though I had been polite up to that point.
It
really ticked me off at the time that the old guy thought he was
going
to strike me with a cane, but we had already made it to the car
and
started backing out. My buddy thought the same as I and wanted
to run
for the car, but I grabbed him and told him we were NOT going to
run
from the old geezer, we hadn't done anything wrong, and I wasn't
going
to let him think he'd intimidated us -- which he had been trying
to do
the whole course of the "sale". I doubt "your" old guy will want
to take
a cane to you for doubting his word, but he might... ;>