[AMC-List] sending unit failures

>The sending unit has windings around a slide. The windings are
>apparently broke on yours. The only fix is a new sending unit. Most AMC
>vendors should be able to supply you with one. If not, a universal unit
>can be modified to fit the original mounting plate. Takes a bit of
>work, but I've done it.

I've seen a lot of rust form even inside the sending unit, so by prying the
three tabs and seperating the halves you can clean out the inside carefully.
  The windings may be fine.  You test with an ohm meter, it should read
about 090 full and 031 empty.  I don't remember what scale that's on.   The
other thing that goes wrong on these is the copper arm that travels along
the windings comes off its shaft.  I've been able to reattach by drilling
the world's smallest hole in the flat on the shaft and hammering the worlds
smallest copper rivit to hold it in place.  A real rivit, not a pop-rivit,
they're too big.  Soldering didn't work for me, it just fell off again,
after it was all back together and in the car.  I got to watch the needle
fall and never move again while driving.  "There goes that solder," I said.
Or you can get a new one from a vendor for around 90 bucks.
Good luck.
Mike