[AMC-List] Spirit-ed Progress

Hey all,

I trailered home an 83 Spirit GT a few weeks ago, I guess the Hawgshed couldn't stay empty for too long.  The odometer is showing 68 thousand and change.  She's been tucked away in the PO's garage since he bought it in 02.  He had plans, but motivation isn't his strong suit and to his credit he figured that out and sold the car.

I guess it's a typical GT, 258 2V, 4 speed, twingrip, PS, manual brakes, turbine wheels w/AMC centers intact.  Frost white with black interior, no radio and a butchered radio bezel.

Three of the four tires were suffering from side wall splits.  I never remember seeing this kind of failure and now it seems to be the failure of choice.  Poor material is my thought on the subject.  I worked at the Kelly Springfield Tire Plant for a few years back in what seems like another life now and I can't imagine workmanship entering into this type of failure.  Our tires today have a defined life span, not only in wear, but in time.  I just learned this the hard way on my wife's Mountaineer.  The tires are five years old now and this spring one decided to have a side wall fail.  Hey, no problem the spare has never been on the ground.  That spare lasted 2000 miles and failed in an identical side wall split.  Goodyear's comment was, "Its out of warrantee, can we sell you a new tire?"  I guess this is a word of warning, tires have a shelf life, use 'em or loose 'em.  Anyway, one of my other projects came with a good pair of 215/70R14 so they went on the back.  There was !
 one new
 tire, brand new, on the left rear.  I purchased a match to that one, 205/70R14, mounted it on the remaining wheel and voila she's on the ground again and rolling.  Sorry I haven't sent you any pictures Doc, but the resto on the wheels was delayed.  I will send them when I get started.

I may be repeating my self, but the driver's outside door handle was broken.  The 71 Hornet parts car donated one of its two LH handles and that's working nicely now.  I need to order a pin and bushings for the lower hinge on that door, it drops about an inch as you swing it open.  At least it will open from the outside now, that's a step in the right direction.  These door handles cross 18 years of use with finish being the only difference I can see.  An interesting point, the door proudly displays a Ziebart sticker, but the drivers front fender has rust issues.

I had to disassemble the glove box to get it open, it was locked and the PO didn't get the round key when he bought the car so he couldn't pass it on.  Inside was the usual stuff, owner's manual, insurance papers and service records/receipts.  The service records shows that the engine and brakes have had a checkered past with many drivability issues.  Those will get sorted out as the project progresses.

Last night I dropped in a battery, just for grins and giggles.  Opened the driver's door, gee that's a nice handle, and the interior lights came on, that's promising.  The engine oil was on the full mark so let's see if I can get oil pressure with the starter.  It took about 30 seconds of cranking, but the oil light went off.  Okay, Houston, we have oil pressure.  A little slosh of gas in the carb, she started and ran for the duration of the fuel.  Amp gage went to +30 so the charging system is intact and functional.

She sounds a little rude with no exhaust system.  The PO gave me a new front pipe, muffler and tail pipe.  He said in passing, "You'll have to have that small pipe made I guess.  They didn't show one available."  I checked it out, he was probably referring to the catalytic converter.

Under the hood is a mass of vacuum lines some going places others just laying there open.  Hopefully the diagram in the engine compartment covers this well enough to get things back where they belong.

On another subject, still no response on my Carter YF high idle question.

Jack