Re: [AMC-List] Gremlin Issues

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, JOE FULTON wrote:

> Can I install a new stud without removing the rear hub
> on that side?

It shouldn't be too hard; if you can drive out the old broken
stub.  There should be enough room to tip the new stud into
the hole from behind but you might have to tak all the brake
guts off one half.

The drums are off the AMC15 rear on my parts car; I can measure
the distance to the backing plate if it would help. 73 Hornet.

It's certainly easier to drive the stud into place with a hammer
and shaped anvil, but the last few mils should be done with a
lugnut and spacer, so you could pull the stud in with a nugnut
and spacer or stack of washers. Lube the hell out of the threads,
use a sacrificial nut -- which are softer than the studs.

Tighten the HELL out of the stud to seat it, back off the nut
often, add lube often. 100 ft/lbs? ought to seat it all the way.
Toss the lug nut when done is what Id' do.