Re: [AMC-List] HEI & TFI distributor questions

Re: [AMC-List] HEI & TFI distributor questions

" From: "garett anderson" <motorcycle5@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Help: Does anyone know about the HEI or TFI distributor upgrades on an old
" 232 motor. Mine is a 1966 ambassador wagon with a 232 and I would like to
" upgrade my distributor but eveyone that has them for sale on ebay says they
" fit years 70-80 something-a-rather and usually they call them Jeep
" distributors. Any input would be appreciated.  garett anderson
" motorcycle5@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
" =========================================

i have a hei on my '68 199.  silly me, i picked it because it needs
12v direct and all my previous amcs - older - had no ballast
resistance.  turns out '68 is the first year they put ballasts on
their six ign!  so i had to bypass it - but that's another story.

you want the dist out of a gm car or light truck with the chevy
straight six, 250 or 292.  i've been told the first year or two ['75]
of hei should be avoided, and you need one that's pre electronic
advance ['80?], but it drops right in -if- you swap your old delco
points dist gear onto it.  amc and chevy cams turn opposite ways, so
the drive gears have opposite helices.

use chevy plug wires and regap your plugs to ~0.050".

i'm also told that oddly most chevy inline heis do not have the
familiar coil in cap, but mine does.  it may be just a parts swap.

you may also want to recurve it to best match your engine.  kits for
this are cheap and plentiful at all the usual speed vendors.

the tfi isn't a bad setup either but it does need ballast resistance,
and its primary attraction is to '78-'90 232/258 that already have the
base ford dist, thus 'tfi tuneup'.