Re: [AMC-List] Trunnion installation/help wanted

Re: [AMC-List] Trunnion installation/help wanted

Kenny, go to this site: http://wps.com/AMC/Front-suspension/. Tom
Jennings has done an excellent write-up on the 52-69 big car upper
trunnion (in this case a 63 Classic). I might be a year or two off on
first use, but no matter. The only difference in 63-69 models is that
only V-8s used roller bearings in the upper trunnion vertical joint,
sixes used a plain bronze bushing. All prior to 63 used roller bearings.
I think Tom makes it sound a little more complicated than it is, but
then I've done several of these things over the years.

If your upper trunnion "caps" are loose in the arms, but the holes in
the arms haven't worn much, tack weld the caps to the arms once they are
in. Just one good tack on the outermost edge will do. Put it where it
can be struck off with a hammer and chisel or grinder if it ever needs
replacing -- you don't want to big a tack weld. This will keep the cap
from turning and eventually vibrating out. You can also easily inspect
it to make sure everything is fine -- if the tack is broke the caps have
seized or have started to seize. At that point the joint can be
disassembled, cleaned, lubed, and put back in service.

One more thing -- I always assemble these things with anti-seize
compound on all threads, THEN grease good before use. Modern moly grease
isn't like the old mineral based stuff they used way back then and is
much less likely to ever seize, but the anti-seize compound is a bit of
extra insurance.

If your arms are badly worn pull the entire front suspension, align
everything correctly and weld (using a MIG welder for better control)
three of the six flats around the cap to the arm. The hole in the arms
usually wears to the inside, so pulling the joint out to the outer edge
usually works. The cap can be welded to the arms while they are apart,
then the entire arm is rotated to reinstall, and the upper arms/trunnion
assembly can be reinstalled. Yes, I know this is a one time good deal!
As stated above, with anti-seize and modern grease the joint isn't
likely to sieze and will last much longer than the original did. I've
only fixed one car this way, and that was 10+ years ago and it's still
going. This works well and should last another 150K miles or more. New
or good used upper arms are hard to find! This can be done with the
lower arms on the older cars as well.

Oh, the AMC-List was forwarded your message by Eddie Stakes. He's a
member, and you might consider going to www.amc-list.com and becoming a
member too!