Re: [AMC-List] Restoring Turbo Style Wheels

Re: [AMC-List] Restoring Turbo Style Wheels

Jack my wheels were Western brand turbine style wheels similar to ones
used on AMC's. I am not familiar with the finish on the AMC wheel's.
Mine were aluminum with a clear urethane coating on them, not polished.
I cleaned the wheels good with enamel reducer very carefully and
prepsol'd them. I scuffed the area between the fins with 400# sand
paper. Masking the part of the fin not to be painted is a pain. Next I
primed the wheel with a self etching primer. Next I scuffed the primer
with 400# again. Next I painted the wheel with the body color for a
detail I though the factory should have done. Once the body color was
dry I removed all the tape and scuffed the whole wheel including the
original clear finish and painted the whole wheel with a semi-gloss
Eastwood clear paint. This sealed all the paint's together to prevent
pealing on the edges.They have been in all sorts of weather in the last
almost 9 months and clean up with Spray Nine like the day I painted
them. Even the dust from the front disc's. If the paint on the wheels is
good I just recommend a good cleaning and scuffing them and go from
there. This is a real pain of a job but done right it looks fantastic. I
will E-Mail you some pic's of my job.
"Doc"