Re: [AMC-List] 401 crank wanted & IH question

Re: [AMC-List] 401 crank wanted & IH question

LOOKING at them the difference is obvious, but just looking through a
parts book at lists of numbers it wouldn't be. It was likely a
preventative measure more than an actual problem though. But if someone
came into a dealership and ordered, say, a water pump for a 401, I
could easily see someone ordering the wrong one if they didn't realize
the difference. Would probably only do it once before making sure they
asked about what vehicle it was in later!

You're right about the 304. I wonder why they put those heavy things in
Scouts instead of the much lighter AMC engines. They used the 258 and
their own four cylinder (which was half the small V-8), then used the
heavy V-8 instead of a lighter one! Maybe AMC didn't feel they had the
capacity to provide 304s or 360s (hmmm... a 360 Scout!!), but needed
the added sales to keep the volume of 401s up. I don't think the Scout
competed with Jeeps that much -- it was more or less between a CJ and
FSJ.

On July 17, 2006 Mark Anthony Sproviero wrote:

> Yeah, I imagine that you needed something like that to carry those
anchors.  Hard to believe that they actually had a problem with mixing
up the motors.