Re: [AMC-List] 401 crank wanted & IH question

Re: [AMC-List] 401 crank wanted & IH question

John, you got that backwards! IHC made a 401 for their bigger trucks
before they started using the AMC 401 in their pickups and Travelalls.
IHC called the AMC V-8 a "400" to help prevent confusion by their
dealers/parts people. So the parts from an IHC 401 won't fit an AMC
401, but parts from an IHC 400 will interchange with the AMC 401.

As stated, all were painted red and all IHC 401s came with a 2V carb
stock, no factory 4Vs as I recall. The 2V carb was the only deviation
from the AMC version. The 304 and 258 were the same as used by AMC
except for the red paint (AMC did paint some CA spec engines red in the
late 60s or early 70s though).

On July 16, 2006 John Elle wrote:

> Roy
> International used AMC engines in some of their applications. I have
> seen 401s, 304's and some I-6 engines. They were painted red.
> SNIP
> In Need Of a 401 Crank! Perfer standard on rods and mains But,email
me
> with
> what you got!
> Or do you know if an IH crank would fit?
> SNIP
> However there is absolutely no relationship between the 400 cubic
Inch