Re: [AMC-List] AMC-List Digest, Vol 6, Issue 28

Re: [AMC-List] AMC-List Digest, Vol 6, Issue 28

I used the AMC V/8 starter, my Jeep was a 3 speed.  I believe the
starters interchange- stick shift and both automatics.

I think the Delco starter is a great unit, the layout of the Jeep just
causes an interference condition.  Altough the Motorcraft staters work
fine, they do start with a short.  The Delco works as you would expect,
the soleniod engages the the gear and then the starter windings are
conected to the battery and the starter spins.  The Motorcraft uses a
point set to carry a large current to ground to prevent the starter from
spinning while the gear is being engaged.  When the points fail the
starter spins before the gear is engaged!  I think most of us have heard
that unholy racket.

Peter Marano
Kenosha WI