Re: [AMC-List] weather pack connectors

Before you go huntin' those connectors, be aware that you need some special
tools to work with them (special crimper and terminal removal tool). I
picked up a set of tools and starter kit from Summit racing for about $60
several years ago when I was debutchering the wiring in a early 90's GMC
S-15. BTW, you can buy connector bodies and terminals from a car dealer but
you'll go broke doing it.

As far as the Painless harness goes, they're very high quality and Painless
has excellent technical support. Their universal kits us a GM style fuse
block and you can get GM style steering column plugs but I'd double check
that AMC and GM use the same column pin outs. Also, American Autowire sells
a bunch of different GM style steering column plug bodies and individual
terminals if you need to make repairs.

Matt

At 03:21 AM 7/12/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>here in iraq, i work on trucks called a HET (heavy equipment transporter)
>made by oshkosh. they got that detroit 8V92 series 2 stroke diesel
>turbo/supercharged motors. i replace them quite often as these guys drive
>the ever livin dog piss out of them almost nonestop. these trucks use
>these weatherpack conectors thru almost the entire truck. they are GREAT.
>i would recomend them to anyone. they got a great thru pannel connector
>with maybe 18-20 wire terminals in it. cut a hole in the pannel the size
>you need, 2 bolt holse on either side, bolt it to the pannel, and the
>connector sits on the other side with a 1/4 stud on the other side of the
>connector to hold it on the mounted side. they are water tight, and very
>secure connections. since they came up on the list, i see they actually
>sell them. i never knew that. hmm... been needing to rewire the 62
>classic..... i guess im goin to have to get to gether everything i need
>now to wire it with their connectors. wonder if you
>  could use a painless wiring kit, with these connectors??.... hmm..
> interesting.
>
>   by the way, has anyone on the list here ever rewired with one of them
> painless wiring muscle car kits?? or any of the painless wiring kits at
> all? just wondering how "painless" they really make it. heck, i been
> rewiring HETS that have wires that are all black, just #'s on them.
> anything with colors now will be NO PROBLEM. i am the only guy in our
> unit who has any experience with electrical. anyway, have a great day all.
>
>   dave stohler
>   camp taji iraq

>or go to http://www.amc-list.com

mhaas@xxxxxxx