Re: [AMC-List] Driver Train Chatter

My first impression would be to stop backing it up or driving it till you have or do the pan and fluid and have the bands adjusted.
  I personally would go get my dad and get him to help me as he is 75 next month and rebuilt these for years. I know that band adjustment can be very finicky and years of gunk and road trash can make it something best left to the experts.
 Look for an oldtime trans shop or a Volvo dealer or repair shop and tell them its a Borg Warner and you would like to get the bands adjusted and the fluid changed. Volvo used the same basic trans for years. also someone who is comfortable rebuilding FMX trans should be able to do it properly.
  I've been leary of band adjustments ever since a friend of mine tried to do one and ended up having the car towed to ahop as it wouldn't move after he did a torque wrench band adjustment! Inch pound torque wrenches don't like dirty threads and it can be a tricky propostion using the shop manual for direction.
--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net