Re: [AMC-List] 401 surge problems.

Marty,
Putting the thinking cap back on.
Problem:
Gaskets that do not seat causing vacuum leaks, diagnostics,  spray wd30
or carb cleaner at surface in question, if a leak is involved it will
suck it in causing running problems and/or smoke out through the
exhaust.
Problem
'Rubber hoses to fuel lines old and cracking causing fuel pump to suck
air. I have had this happen on a number of cars over the last two years.
The fuel lines at the gas tank, which includes fuel return line for
bypass systems if you have them will crack etc. When fuel pump sucks it
will suck air into the fuel line causing surging problems similar to
what you are describing. Solution, inspect all lines, look for damaged
and cracked hoses and replace them.
Problem
Fuel filter plugged. Not all that uncommon. If you can't blow through
them, gasoline can not pass through them.
Solution. Replace the fuel lines connecting hoses etc.
Problem
Related to above, rusty fuel lines fail and air gets sucked through
them.
Solution, replace rusted fuel lines.
Problem,
Fuel pump in failure mode. I have had 4 fuel pumps go out in the last 2
years with no warning at all.
Solution, diagnostic, measure fuel pressure at carburetor if you have a
gauge, if not it is a good tool to have around for cases such as this,
about $30.00 or so at Checkers and other fine autoparts stores. Maybe
less.  If problem, replace fuel pump
O.k.,
Brain drain done. Good luck
John.