[AMC-List] Ambo progress

Lest some think the chances of this car ever getting done is zero, including myself, I would like to report that I actually worked on it yesterday!
  The right side inder fender trough is being replaced with a piece of conduit that I have very carefully ground the galvanized zinc coating off of. I also opened all the shop doors and have been very carefull to ventilate the work area. Should have got somemild steel tube, but could not get my hands on any easily and this was free.
  I started by bolting all the spring tower to firewall braces in, then tack welded a piece of rectangular steel across the top of the inner fenders just in front of the spring towers. With the rust repair completed on the rear of the inner fenders this allowed everything to be stiff enough to allow me to finally cut the rotted trough out.
 Then I angled the conduit from the outside corner of the cowl corner in to the corner where  the front of the inner fender meets the core support headlight area. My reason for this angle was the wish that should I or anyone get into an accident this solid piece of tube should not be pointed at a passenegr or operater. The way it sits now it will either drive back outside the passenegr compartment or buckle at some point along it's length.
  Once it was welded in place, I started filling the gap between the inner fender top and the tube with some 16 gauge steel I have. The angle is perfect in the front and slopes down enough to allow any water a gunk splashed up on top to drain off. I was also careful to try and get the plate to join the tube right at the top so there is not a crevasse for the crud to lay.
   I need to make a small plate to come out from the spring tower to the tube and get a little creative in the back to allow for good drainage of the rear area as it will not be as sloped as the front. I'm really hoping to get the rest of this wrapped up in the next weekor so.
   I'm figuring 4-6 hours will complete this corner of the cars rot issues!
I also found myself realizing that while it may seem nutty to put this much work into saving a 65 Ambassador, Not a sole would think I was nuts if this was a 65 Mustang!!!
   My plans remain on track. Fix rust, prime in satin black epoxy, Install driveline and get it running. Bolt on the best parts I have and cruise! If I decide it is a keeper I will consider paint and finish work later. At least I will  have saved it from the graveyard for a while!

--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net