Re: [AMC-List] 401 engine surge

Marty
SNIP
Drove to a car show late afternoon and at about 65-70 the car statrted
surging.  It stopped after 3-5 surges but did it again before we arrived
at the car show (this was during an 11 mi freeway run.  On the way home
9about 4 hours later) it did the same thing.  I gave it more gas and it
stopped doing it.  The second time it started surging I tried to give it
more gas and it stopped surging but started to slow and felt like it
would stall.  I let up on the gas this time and it recovered. Any
suggestions?
SNIP
Other than it couldabeen anything the first 2 places I would look at
would be the possibility of a gasket not seating correctly between the
intake manifold and head(s) or carburetor and intake, causing a vacuum
leak of sorts but the easiest to check would be the power valve in the
Holley either being calibrated to activate at a vacuum level that the
engine is not happy with or in a failure mode.
Dese are my 'gestions!
Good luck, sounds like a nice package.
John