[AMC-List] marty: surge problem

check your carb float level or secondary jet system. i had an old q-jet i had on my ford. for some reason, at speed, it would keep the fuel flowing at high speed. you would think at idle, using less fuel it would pump the fuel thru the overflow. if its a new edelbrock, that would be a strange problem because usually edelbrocks dont have that kind of problem and are already pretty well adjusted when you pull strait out of the box if you talk to them prior to ordering. anyway, the overflow runs right down the throat of the carb so if it is getting a constant flow, even just a little, will go right into the intake, and can change your fuel ratio, richen it up, maybe to much at times, and bog it down. my 71 ford would just keep flowing thru the secondary booster pump. it may have had a crack in the booster diaphram, i just got a rebuild kit, and rebuilt it. edelbrock builds them q-jets now. if it is a used carb, check that... hope this is some help.

  dave stohler
  camp taji iraq