Re: [AMC-List] Engine mount hassles

It's been a while sine I put an engine in a Hornet or 64+ American. The
196 engined cars (specifically my 63 Classic) I remember because that's
the last one I pulled an engine from. The 196 mounts are directly on the
crossmember, no perches, but that's not a factor. The mounts have only
one stud on the bottom, that might be. The hole on one side (I believe
the driver's side) is slotted, the other one is not. You had to put the
stud in the non-slotted hole first. The other one was slotted so the
stud would slide in at an angle with the other side already in. I seem
to recall the 80 Concord I had to jack the engine up in to remove the
oil pan was the same way, but maybe not....

The trick the factory used was to put the crossmember on the engine with
nothing else attached, then lift the assembly up into the engine
compartment or lower the body on the crossmember/engine assembly. Easy
to move the crossmember around with nothing else (especially a body)
attached! I don't know what order the engine/plates/cushions/crossmember
were assembled. The crossmember/cushions/plates may have been assembled
then the engine slid between. Would have been easy enough to do out of
the body. The emphasis is always on assembly time, not maintenance. 90%
of the time the engine or mounts would never have to be removed in the
first five years of so, well after the warranty period and usually well
after the first owner was ready for a new car in the 60s. "Trading in"
every 3-5 years was pretty common back then!